13 September 2008

Harassing James

One thing I have noticed in wandering around Sydney is that the security people take a dislike to James. If I wander off on my own, I am fine and allowed to take photos. But as soon as James arrives, a secrity guard will start asking questions and if possible try to make us go away. I take photos with lots of people, this only happens with James.

Example #1 - Taking Photos of a mine in the Hunter Valley

"security man doing his duty for the company" by yewenyi [?]
security man doing his duty for the company

Example #2 - we were at the pier Wollomolloo. Mike was taking photos on the access road into the car park, I joined him. The security guard was watching us. When James arrived, we were asked to leave. They would not agree to us walking down the access road.

"Saturday Photo Walk #16" by yewenyi [?]
Saturday Photo Walk #16

Example #3 - twice on Cockatoo Island, where I had previously taken photos, James was told not to. On one occasion there where about four members of the public taking photos, but they only asked James not to. When one of the others who was taking photos (a man with is wife and two young daughters) asked why James was being told this and not everyone else, the security person retreated. I wish I had captured it on video.

"Cockatoo Island" by yewenyi [?]
Cockatoo Island

Example #4- I was not present at this one. The day before APEC became declared James had his film stolen by the police. (Well they never gave it back.)

3 comments:

yewenyi said...

Example #5: A security guard near King Street Newcastle said, there is a half eaten hamburger back there if you are looking for something to take a photo of. As an insult, it was quite lame. I was amused and did not try to take his photo.

Mike Hodgson said...

Must be because James is such a disreputable character. Maybe it's because of the shorts he always wears or the contortionist positions he gets into while shooting low subject. ;-)

yewenyi said...

maybe it was the shorts, maybe terrorists wear shorts...